Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Miracle

I guess it's time I start a blog. Due to my constant reading of all my friend's blogs, I thought...what the heck. I might as well. It's not like me to do something just because it is popular. But lately I've become the average 17 year old. For instance, I was completely against twitter. Like completely. Then a few weeks ago I was waisting time on my computer like I always do, and I sort of made my way to twitter. Next thing I knew I had an account and posted my first tweet. Same thing with snap chat. I thought I was so unique because I wasn't caught up in all the jumble of the online world. But hey, I'm a teenager. I guess I just hate feeling left out.

Today was the first Christmas without Spencer being home. You should have seen my family when he called. The Vernon's are known for being quite emotional. Well as soon as Elder Vernon said hello, my mother was bawling. Then he started crying, and I started crying, and even Emma. My dad is sitting there laughing at us. We get it from my mom. It's been six months since he left for Poland. I've gone six months without seeing my best friend. I would be lying if I didn't say that it sucks. But I'm so glad he is out sharing the gospel. There is nothing more I love than the truth of the gospel and the comfort it gives.

Tonight my family watched a sappy Mormon movie. My dad is always buying them, so I thought it would be just one more to add to the collection. As sappy as this movie was, the meaning behind the whole thing really hit me. The movie revolves around the life of a teenage girl who is struggling with friends, family, and school. Part way through the movie my sister Emma said, "Hey Heather, this movie is just like your life. Dad, did you give this movie to her on purpose?" I'm kind of the joke of the family when it comes to school. My brother is pretty much brilliant, so when I do average in school, it comes as a shock to my parents. Suprise! Maybe I'm your average child. But back to the movie. It was all about only finding happiness through making others happy. Life's not about you. It's about the service and love you show other people. One line from the movie was: We are angels stuck in the bones of humans. It also talked about doing one thing a day that proves you are here for a reason. Who knew a movie made in Salt Lake City by a small mormon company could have such an impact on me? I guess you could call it a Christmas miracle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment