Thursday, December 27, 2012

Sigh No More

I have an obsession with Mumford and Sons. No need to worry though, it's a healthy obsession. I have to give credit to my dear friend Matt Maddix for introducing them to me. Lately I've been hearing their songs in places I never would have guessed. I watched Brave last night with my family and I was so suprised when the closing song for the credits came on and it was their song, Not With Haste. My family gave me some weird looks when I suddenly looked up from having my nose buried in my phone and yelled, "Mumford!" I also learned where some of the lyrics for their song Sigh No More came from. We had to watch a Shakespeare movie for my English class. Confession. I really don't like Shakespeare. Probably because I can't understand half of it. We have to watch the movie Much Ado About Nothing. So as I was sitting in the basement with a group of people I usually don't spend my Friday's with, I got a pleasant suprise. One of the characters starts to say, "Serve God, love me..." and I totally finished the line for him. Quite a few heads turned toward me and I said, "It's Mumford! Mumford quotes Shakespeare!"

My best friend Kelsie has this thing for quotes. She is constantly sending them to me and I love it. Because of her, my new favorite page on Pinterest is the quote page. I saw one yesterday that said, "Don't give second chances. People don't change." Well that's about the biggest lie I have ever heard. People are changing constantly. I would say daily. I'm also a firm believer in giving second changes. Not just second chances, but many more. I sometimes feel like my life happens in second chances. Let me explain this. I've danced my whole life. Literally my whole life. My aunt owns a dance studio, so from the second I could walk I was standing at the ballet barre doing plies. When I tore my ACL in September they told me it would be at least 6 months before I was dancing again. It's those moments when something you love is taken away from you when you realize how much they actually mean. I know my dedication and the work I put in to dance will be so much more because now I know what it's like to live without it. Same thing tends to happen with people in my life. This is how people changing and giving second chances work together. Sometimes you give people a second chance because they have changed. Sometimes it's the other way around and people give you a second chance.  Sometimes as much as you would like it to be, these "second chances" don't mean going right back to where things were. But they do mean improvement, and that will have to do.

“It’s not the long walk home that will change this heart,
But the welcome I receive at the restart”  
-Mumford and Sons 

No comments:

Post a Comment