Monday, March 25, 2013

My biggest life lesson. Part 1.

September 12. It really does feel like just yesterday. Yet at the same time, it feels like years.

It was the night of the homecoming assembly. I was doing it all. I was performing with dance co, and student council. Not only had I been staying after school for dance co rehearsals, but I had been having early morning and late night practices to somehow get our stuco group to dance together. I was stressed, but i loved every second of it. Finally we were starting the assembly. I had curled my hair and was wearing my dance co shirt and the sparkly new high tops they bought for us. I felt great. I looked great. I loved being involved with the school and being able to do what I love more than anything.
Dance.

I made it through the dance co dance. We had to start over once because of a music problem, but besides that, we nailed it. Devyn was still recovering from an ACL surgery, so we had to modify a few things for her.

Little did I know.

I rushed back into the dance room and changed my shirt to get ready for the stuco dance. I came back out and sat by the council couch. Connor, Adam and Cole told me good job, and that they loved to watch me dance. The night was turning out great.

Now it was stuco's turn. We all got in a huddle and I said a few words to them. I told them that the most important thing was to never break your smile. Go out there and no matter what happens, don't forget to perform. How ironic.

The music starts and Ryan does his solo. At the beginning of the dance I was supposed to run forward and do a dive roll over Landon. I don't know if it was the shoes, or if I hit a pothole, or it simply was fate. All I know is I ran forward to jump, and as I jump and roll, I hear a loud pop.

I can't quite comprehend what is happening. I try to stand back up and put weight on my right leg. This is where the pain hits. I get dizzy and began to feel really hot. There is sort of a throbbing in my right knee and as I try to put weight on it, it gives way and I almost fall over again. This is when I know something is seriously wrong, I just want to lay on the grass and cry. But instead I suck it up and finish the dance. That's right. I'm a true performer at heart. The show must go on.

Maggie is the first to see I'm seriously hurt. I hobble off the field and collapse. I'm grabbing my knee and crying. She helps me over to the couch and I lay down.. By this point, Aubrie, Jardine, Finch, and many friends have come over to see what's up. All I can think about is dance. I didn't want to talk to anyone. I actually don't remember any conversations I had. All I wanted was to see my moms face and have her tell me all was going to be ok. I began to think about dance performances I had coming up. I had just been chosen to do the lead role in Waltz of the flowers for nutcracker. A dream come true. It was my first year on dance co. I tried to stay positive, but I knew the injury was serious. I knew things were going to change whether I liked it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment