Monday, February 25, 2013

My definition of "the best"

It hasn't been a typical Monday. 
We had a meeting today for everyone who is interested in Student Council next year. I had such a bitter sweet feeling in that meeting today. 
I also went to Showcase for a bit. As much as I love seeing how much I've improved over the past months, it also reminds me how far I have to go. 
I came home a bit discouraged today. Everything is so good, but everything is starting to change. 
I walked in the door from coming home from Showcase to find my dad sitting on the couch. I slumped down on the couch across from him and heaved a heavy breathe. He could tell I just needed to talk. We talked about elections, my current ACT score that I got today, dance, my friends, my relationship with my mom, and just how I was feeling in general. 
He asked me a question. 
He said, "what's the best thing about your life right now?" 
I honestly didn't know how to answer. There are so many good things about life right now. But how do I classify something as the best? How do I chose what makes me most happy? 
So I shrugged off the question and just asked him, "When is mom going to be home? I need something to eat and she's got dinner with her." 
Yet that question has been stuck in my head all night. It's been slowly eating away at me: and i realized why. I don't have an answer. There isn't a way to classify "greatness" in my life because it is found so often. 
I've been reflecting on my day and finding the great things. 
It was a great feeling to hand in my math test today after spending all of 2nd and half of 3rd period on it and feeling like I did the best I could. I was proud of myself. 
I wore my Sperry's today, and a scarf. I got a good parking spot and Devyn was the first person to greet me this morning. Kelsie is home from St. George. I smiled at 3 people I didn't know today and guess what... they smiled back. It's amazing what a simple smile can do. 
I was happy in dance co as I watched all of my best friends dance and laugh together. Those girls are like my sisters. 
I had an overwhelming feeling of love come over me sitting in the StuCo meeting listen to all my fellow members talk. I know they love me back. From Connor simply putting his hand on my knee to show he cares, to Maddie's sweet hugs, Cordell's way of knowing when I need cheering up, Maggie's amazing way of knowing how to make me laugh, Hannah's gorgeous smile, Adam constantly teasing me, and many many more. It's a great feeling to know that you have grown and learned so much along side these people. We have seen each other at our worst and our best, yet somehow only see the good in each other. These moments mean the world to me. 
I also cherish the moments spent with my family. Our love for looking up old movies on youtube, my dad playing the piano, our random dance parties, reading the Book of Mormon together, reading Elder Vernon's letters, and praying together. 
So here is an answer for you dad. 
What the best part of my life right now?
The fact that it changes day to day, yet I find a way to love every second of it. I love the challenges each day holds, and discovering new ideas and ways of loving other people. I love the fact that my life is unique to me and no one else knows what it is like to be in my shoes. I love that I have a Heavenly Father to guide me throughout my life. I love living in the moment. I love being me. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm feeling some of the same things.

    I really really like the answer you came up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. You put my thoughts into words.

    You're the best.

    ReplyDelete